1. Marx identifies private property as the basis of peoples’ alienation from human nature.
2. China adopts Marxism as its ruling ideology.
3. China adopts partial capitalism under Deng.
4. In 1979, the philosophy of Yugoslavian Marxist humanist Gajo Petrovic becomes directly transplanted into Chinese intellectual rhetoric and sees great popularity. The alienist faction of Mao reformers quote Petrovic for having said, “The de-alienation of economic life also requires the abolition of state property.” (Jing Wang, High Culture Fever, page 13).
5. The alienist faction fails for internal reasons.